Environmentally friendly even! Slightly smaller than composition books, the measure 6″ x 8″ and the cardboard covers are sorter and pliable. Nice size the carry along with you for notes.
Bundled, as they are on the shelf, you really don’t notice that there are three of them to a package. I just bought one set for my personal use. But these would be perfect to ‘alter’. Add some pretty scrapbook paper to the front and a few embellishments. Would make great little gifts or party favors.
These previous posts show some ideas of different ways I have altered journals in the past if you need some inspiration.
Since ‘good crafting stuff’ has been harder to find at the dollar store, I’ve been looking at the craft stores a little more. Found these cute little glass bottles at Michael’s.
On these I used some wired tissue paper ribbon. Hard to work with. Liked the prints on them but NOT working with the wire. And the wire made it tear really easily if you tried to make a bow out if it. Lesson learned. Wired tissue ribbon LOOKS cool, but it’s JUST for looks!
For most of the rest of these, I hand stamped tea stained paper.
The old yellowed book pages I used as the background on these three bottles was VERY brittle. Even just applying glue to them caused them to tear. My remedy: Took them outside and sprayed them with a couple of quick coats of clear spray on varnish! Still had to handle it very carefully, but it made it strong enough to glue in place.
More of my favorite papers with a snippet of old dictionary page sandwiched between.
More of the writing scrapbook papers, and a paper repro clock face (from a booklet of such assorted things)
Pop over to my Trash 2 Treasure blog to see what I did with these old heart shaped bottles. I collected the bottles from thrift stores and rummage sales throughout the year. Never pay more than a dollar for one!
Here’s one little sneak peek!
Are YOU working on any Valentine crafts of decorations yet?
Of course, I HAD to embellish mine a bit. I think this was an old set of scrapbook stickers from DT, back in the day when they carried scrapbook stuff. They had the ‘foam stickies’ on the back. That stuff does NOT stick to glitter! Pull them off and apply tacky glue to the back of the items you want to add.
The gold embellishment on the front of this one is part of a DT ornament.
The silver embellishment on this one is the other half of the gold one above. And actually the tiny silver flower on the first crown came from that same single ornament too! I just broke it apart to get flat pieces to use on my crowns!
Take a peek HERE for some great Colonial Folk Art and primitive style ephemera images you can print and use FOR FREE! Lots of great primitive and Colonial craft ideas on the blog too.
Well, since the resin birds I so DESPERATELY have been waiting for are NOT going to be coming to Dollar Tree this year; I’ve resigned myself to working on some other bird projects.
I found these DT birds in my stash from some time ago. Never did figure out much of anything different to do with them. So I just gave them all little vintage sheet music crowns!
These birds are probably from 4-5 YEARS ago though! But maybe you’ll find some like them at thrift stores?!?
I got these little feather birds at DT last fall. Attached them to a nest with eggs and then to a pedestal.
This canvas bird picture is from a few years ago also. I added the plastic rhinestone crown and the ‘discover’ tag.
These birds on TIN boards are from a while ago too. I added the crowns and joy tag.
And that’s all I’ve got for now!
Got these wood plaques topped with designs printed on paper, and black wire decorative scroll on the top at Dollar Tree a while back. A good 70% of the time when I buy ‘supplies’ (items that I eventually ALTER) at Dollar Tree, I don’t yet know HOW I will be using them. Something about an item just ‘catches my eye’ (in this case it was the pretty black scroll top) and I just KNOW I will be able to ‘do SOMETHING with it’ and I’ll grab a bunch!
I was painting these gold cherubs (and several others); not yet knowing HOW I was going to use them. Figured something would come to me as I worked on them. They were nice and FLAT on the back side so applying them to some kind of flat surface came to mind.
See instructions for the complete transformation of these gold cherubs over on my Trash 2 Treasure blog. SO, while the cherubs were drying for the final time, I scrounged through my stash to find something to attach them to. Tried a few different things, and settled on the scroll top plaques.
I was just ‘trying them out’ and laying them on the plaques to see if the proportions were right. I had every intention of completely covering the plaque with some scrapbook paper. But, the cherubs fir SO perfectly on top of the bird, AND the wording perfectly fit the theme; so I decided to just glue on the cherub and be done!
Well, ALMOST done!! After they dried overnight and I hung them to take pictures, I decided ‘something was missing’. It needed a tad more ‘altering’.
So I gave them some vintage sheet music paper crowns!
NOW they’re done!
Then I did one like I had originally intended to do, covering the entire background with scrapbook paper, and adding some embellishments.
I just used regular tacky glue to put the crowns on. First, test fit your crown and gently ‘form it’ to the shape of the head. (this one was a tad oval shaped) Hold crown upside down and run a generous bead of bead of glue around the entire inside of the rim. Then turn it right side up and put it on. Gently (without crushing the tips!) hold crown in place for about five minutes for glue to set. Then set aside to completely dry.
I put them out in my booth at the antique mall WITH my Valentine stuff, but they really aren’t so Valentine ‘specific’ that they won’t work to display year round. Something I try to keep in mind when I am creating.